Thinking about revamping your media room into a home theater and/or gaming room? Or maybe you’ve got a huge entertainment room and you want to have a committed space inside it for movie theater purposes. DIY home improvements are all the rage right now, what with online retailers and YouTube tutorials available for just about everything. And DIY home theaters are no different! You might even be able to get through the entire process without ever leaving your house. No, really. All the tech you need you can find at online retailers, and all the options you want for DIY home theater seating you can find right here at Valencia! Including things like home theater risers and equipment to do DIY stadium seating setups. It’s easier than ever to overhaul your media room into a dedicated home theater.
But we can’t just skip right to the big stuff. Creating a great DIY home theater means carefully planning out each feature and how it fits with the others. You want to make sure you get that totally-immersed, real-feel movie theater experience even though you’re just steps away from your kitchen.
A Nifty Checklist of How to Prep Construction of Your DIY Home Theater
A great DIY home theater is just as much about prep work as actual construction. Actually, the planning and prep work are a lot more involved than putting your DIY home theater together after you’ve got all your theater seating and audiovisual tech in-hand. Here’s a checklist of things you need to know before you invest in all that fancy media equipment and home theater seating:
- Decide exactly what your DIY home theater is going to be for. Movies? Games? Drinks and chats? Sports betting? This will help you make all the subsequent decisions on our list.
- Choose the right type of projector and projector screen. (We’ve got a tutorial here if you need some direction)
- Plan out your connectivity setup: which cords run where, where and how to mount your sound system, running wires to the projector, etc. (Here’s a quick guide on HDMI cords, and another on wired vs. wireless speakers)
- Plan your media room furniture layout. What kinds of home theater seating do you want? Do you want to do DIY stadium seating with home theater risers?
- Do you need or plan to use sound dampeners on the walls? Acoustic blocks or heavy curtains?
These are the big questions you need to ask yourself before you begin to shop for a single thing. After all, a DIY home theater is a lot more involved than purchasing a huge TV and a new entertainment room couch. And once you start to think about what kind of seating you want in your new home theater, there’s a whole other subset of questions you need answered before you design your custom DIY home theater seating with our 3D customizer feature.
How to Decide on Seating for Your DIY Home Theater
Making sure you’ve thought of everything is making sure your DIY home theater turns out looking professional. Like, people will be surprised it was a DIY project at all. Choosing the right seating for your home theater is absolutely key to creating the best movie-watching, sports-viewing or gaming experience. Luckily, Valencia constructs each and every model to be the most ergonomical, supportive and comfortable home theater seating you’ll find. So, when you’re looking through our dozens of super-cool, diverse and stylish home theater seats, you don’t even have to worry about comfort – max comfort comes standard in all our theater seating products.
We like lists. Simple. Organized. And they help you cover all your bases. And when it comes to DIY theater seating for your media room makeover, this prep list is probably just as important as the first one. There’s a few things you need to know to really hone your search for the right home theater seating while poking around on our site:
- What’s the desired layout of your media room furniture?
- Will your layout include level changes like home theater risers?
- What are the measurements: height, width and length, of the area your theater seating will take up?
- Never forget to leave margins for head space and moving-around space when taking these measurements, or your DIY theater seating will turn out a little, well, wonky. (If this is one of the points you get stuck on, just give us a call. There’s nothing about “Do-it Yourself” that says you can’t ask for help!)
- And never forget to ensure that your desired layout allows every seat to have a great viewing angle!
Consider your Style Goal for Your DIY Theater Seating
Here’s the thing – every single model of home theater sectionals, sofas, loveseats and stadium seating we craft are of the finest quality. Powered headrests, a state-of-the-art reclining mechanism, lumbar support, solid foam construction – there’s a long list of comfort and convenience features that set our home theater chairs apart from the rest. So when browsing through our different models, you really don’t need to worry about whether the Oslo is more or less comfy than the Pavilion II; it’s a tie – they’re both built for maximum comfort.
Knowing you’ve got the comfort factor taken care of is going to allow you to focus on the exciting stuff: style and features. What’s your style goal for your DIY theater seating, and your DIY home theater at-large? Simple black leather theater seating is nowhere near your only option anymore (but we like it – it’s a classic!). You can get styles like two tone leather seats, red theater seats, or fabric theater seating. Are you going for a modern look? Farmhouse? A warm, mid-century library feel? Or an adult arcade? DIY theater seating can be anything you want it to be. There are options like the super-modern, Euro-inspired Zurich. And there are plush, quilted options like the Oxford. When you combine the design of your desired model with your chosen color, you’re one step closer to DIY theater seating your friends are going to gawk at when they come for the next movie or game night. And to boot, these home theater chairs will be so comfortable they’ll never want to leave. No, really… it might get awkward. Go home, Kyle – the movie’s over.
What’s Your Desired Layout for Your DIY Home Theater Seating?
The layout you choose for your DIY theater seating is going to determine how much construction prep you’ve got ahead of you, and it’s going to depend on what type of media room furniture you want. Obviously a classic layout is rows of theater seats on risers. But how do you DIY stadium seating? Sounds like a lot of math, construction and levelling. Just kidding – it’s not.
This is where you can really make your DIY theater seating your own. Have teens that want the home theater to double as a hangout space? Get a theater riser platform and stick a huge home theater sectional or sofa on it. Now you’ve got a front row of theater seating with a raised back row that’s a less traditional version of theater seating. We all love things that can multitask. Have a narrow room with high ceilings? Buy a few home theater risers and set up several rows of 3 seat theater seating. Voila! DIY stadium style theater seating that looks like you called in a contractor. But for way less of an expense, because you didn’t actually need that contractor at all!
A few of our popular models that you can easily reconfigure to serve any purpose you need are the Piacenza, the Tuscany and the Verona, if you need a clue on where to get started. Home theater sectional sofas, wall hugger theater seating, theater loveseats – any home theater furniture layout you can imagine for your DIY theater seating, we can make it happen.
A few Suggestions from the Home Theater Seating Experts at Valencia
Let’s sum up what we’ve talked about. Namely, how to prep for your DIY home theater project and how to best search for your ideal DIY theater seating.
DIY home theater prep:
- Figure out the purpose of your revamped media room.
- Make decisions on the type of audiovisual tech you’ll install in your home theater.
- Plan out the connectivity set up for all that tech, spatially.
- Consider any sound dampening features you want to add to your DIY home theater room.
- Take measurements to brainstorm layouts for your new media room furniture.
DIY theater seating prep:
- Measurements that include height, width and length margins for easy movement around the seating.
- Desired layout with consideration for viewing angles from the projector screen
- Desired style, material and color of your new home theater seating
- Number of seats you want to fit in your home theater setup.
- Whether or not you’re trying to DIY some stadium seating with home theater risers.
That’s the real important stuff you need to ensure your DIY home theater and its seating don’t seem DIY at all.
Now to the fun stuff. What kinds of cool features do you want to add to your Valencia home theater seating?
- Powered headrests and reclining (they actually come standard with most of our models!)
- Underfoot LED lighting
- Middle seat that doubles as a dropdown console
- Home theater accessories like wine caddies or tablet holders
- Built-in bass shaker theater seats
- Embroidery options
- Leather color, type and texture customizations
- Cup holder, armrest and accessory options for finishes
Valencia offers the most comfortable, luxury home theater seating on the market. Because when it’s time to deal with the theater seating portion of your DIY home theater, you want to be sure that stuff is super comfy, really durable, and covered in beautiful, full-grain leather (though we wouldn’t fault you for trying microfiber theater seating – we make that, too!).
There are a few questions we get from a lot of our customers; take a look at those here. And if you can’t find the advice you’re looking for on our FAQ page or our blog? Or if you just want to talk to a real human being before diving in on ordering your DIY theater seating? Use our contact page or just give us a call! We’d love to help you start living your best life in your new home theater room.